Customized notebook with elastic closure band
An elastic closure notebook could be a notepad, writing pad, drawing pad, or even a legal pad. It is a small book or binder of paper pages which has rulings and an elastic closure band included. Usually, this notebook with an elastic band has several purposes such as recording notes or memoranda, writing, drawing or scrapbooking.
PU, in this context, stands for Polyurethane – which is a polymer used in the manufacturing of many products. This notebook with an elastic band, ranging from adhesives and spandex to hoses and wheels. So really, this PU notebook may have the look and feel of genuine leather, but it is not. If you want to know more about PU, please click here.
Features of a Notebook With Elastic Band
Principal types of binding for a PU elastic notebook include padding, perfect, spiral, comb, sewn, clasp, disc, and pressure. Some notebooks use a combination of two binding types to make the journal sturdier.
The cover material of the elastic notebook with an elastic band is usually distinct from the writing surface material. It is also typically more durable, more decorative, and more firmly attached. Moreover, this is also stiffer than the pages, even when taken together.
A notebook with an elastic band is convenient when carrying it in your purse to protect the pages. More so, a typical elastic closure notebook is charmingly unobtrusive, of high-quality and pleasant to the touch.
Notebook with elastic band is very high-quality flexible notebooks with elastic PU cover. Furthermore, It is important to note that they are available in hundreds of different colors & textures. This variety is one of the things that makes stationery so much fun!
Also, they can be used as a beautiful gift to a friend, diary notebook, business notebook, elastic notebook, and lots more. But, they are also quite inexpensive with materials that are easy to come by.
How to Add an Elastic Closure Band to A Notebook
Ever had a notebook that you love so much but wish it came with an elastic band? The elastic closure notebook is a very popular kind of design used these days. However, there are many easy ways to add an elastic band to it.
Here are two methods of adding elastic closure bands to your favorite notebook:
Method 1: Using Eyelets
- Elastic band (You can use pre-made 16-inch headbands gotten from a craft store)
- Cutting Mat
- Xacto knife
- Hole punch
- Large eyelet kit
Steps to Take:
- Firstly, open your notebook up to its back cover.
- Then, use a ruler and pencil to mark an inch from the top of the notebook, and another inch from the notebook’s side. Repeat this step on the upper right inside and lower right inside of the back cover.
- Then, Use a hole punch to punch holes where you made the pencil marks. These holes are for the eyelets.
- After making the holes with the punch, put the bottom eyelet into the holes. Place these eyelets along with the plastic washer underneath them.
- Cut the headband, or any other elastic band you are using, in half. At one end of the band, cut a small slit at about half of an inch from the end. Pull the band over the eyelet where the hole was cut without worrying about all its rough edges. The edges will be covered up by the eyelet.
- Follow the instructions on the kit the eyelet came in. The eyelet should have a plastic washer under it, and a metal tool on it. With a small craft hammer, you can hit the eyelet to set it in gently.
- After setting the eyelet at the top right of the notebook, shut it close. Pull the elastic band over the notebook’s front cover. The band should be tight but not tight enough to pull on the notebook. Repeat the process so that the eyelet is set on the back cover’s bottom. Use scissors to cut off any extra elastic band left.
- Furthermore, On the back of the notebook, you should only be able to see the eyelets. The elastic band should not be visible at the back.
- That is all, your notebook is ready, customized with an elastic band.
Method 2: Using Sugru
Sugru is a kind of multipurpose glue that comes in different colors and looks like modeling clay. Therefore, when exposed to air, this glue cures and sets strong to a durable silicone rubber texture. It is perfect for crafts and DIYs such as the notebook with an elastic band.
- A packet of Sugru
- Elastic (most manufacturers use flat elastic; however, the round elastic is easier and more affordable to use for closing your notebook)
- Large binder clips
- Scorch tape (for masking)
- A glass of water
Steps To Take:
- Firstly, make sure you have the right amount of elastic by running it over the length of your notebook with an elastic band. Also, ensure that the elastic is properly tensioned. Cut the elastic to a length of about 1 centimeter longer than the height of the book in each direction.
- In addition, decide on the distance your elastic should be from the edge. About 2cm from the edge is alright.
- Subsequently, pull the elastic at both ends all the way from the front cover of the notebook to the back cover. It should be about a centimeter on each side to have the right tension.
- Also, use a binding clip to securely hold the elastic band on both ends of the notebook. Leave a few centimeters of elastic outside the clip.
- Place the tape at each side of the elastic, right up to the edge of the binder clips. Use a repositionable tape that will not take off parts of the notebook.
- Then open up a pack of sugro, and ram it around for some minutes with your fingers until it is perfectly pliable. Then divide it into two equal parts and mold each into a rectangular shape. Place each of the rectangular-shaped sugros on top of the elastic hanging outside the binding clip.
- After flattering it, take off the tape. This will go off with some of the rough edges of the sugro, giving you a nice straight line.
- Wet your finger in a small cup of water and moisten the surface of the sugro with your finger to smoothen it.
- Leave the binding clip on the notebook overnight to cure and solidify overnight or for 24 hours.
- Take off the binder clips. Your notebook now has an elastic closure ready to be used.
Custom notebook with elastic closure band has the added advantage of easy cleaning and maintenance. If you have any demand on the notebook with an elastic band, welcome to inquire us at Zigpac.